Friday, June 3, 2011

24 Hour EEG, Spica Cast Checkup

The last day has been exhausting!  Sitting in a tiny room staring at your child and recording every little seizure is definitely not on my top list of fun things to do, but it was necessary and I'm glad we did it!  The EEG tech, Roz, is just a kind, caring, and awesome lady, we are always happy to see her!  He is having quite a few more seizures than we thought, but of course when we are home we don't sit in front of him and stare at him all day. lol  They are using this as a baseline and we will find out the full results next week.  We are increasing his Topamax to 45 mg twice a day.  At first this made him really sleepy and he didn't want to eat very much, but I guess he's getting used to it because he's been more awake and alert during the day, but still sleeping through the night (thank God!).  After we got home this afternoon he took a lovely nap in his own bed and then ate an entire bottle with very little chin support!  The past week there have been times when I could only get an ounce down him at a time, so this is very good news!  Also, he seems to have better trunk control and he's been lifting his head and trunk up from a reclining position!  I just love, love, love to report on happy things like that!

We saw the ortho doctor about Levi's spica cast today as well.  He thinks the cast is fine.  He has grown quite a bit but he has plenty of room to grow still.  Well, he would know better than me. lol  I'm glad we saw him anyway, it sets my mind at ease that he isn't squished up in there.  They cut a small portion away from the toes because his little toe didn't have any more room, and that seems to work out great.  They took x-rays and said that the cast is doing it's job, so we are going back in two weeks to check again.  If they have to replace it at that point because it's too tight then they will also do the procedure where they insert the dye and x-ray his leg before they replace it.  I think if they have to do that they may go ahead and put on the cast that goes only to the knees on both legs, but that is my own theory.  I'm just assuming they wouldn't want to replace the cast then turn around and do it in 2 weeks at the planned 6 week replacement. 

Does that make sense?  I feel like I'm rambling. lol  The darn monitor leads kept coming off last night setting off the alarms and driving me crazy, and I'm pretty tired today, but I feel really great.  The fast is going really well!  I feel as if we've had great news and Levi has been doing more and feeling better since we began it just three days ago.  I know the Lord is faithful and whatever we have to walk through He is right there with us holding us up.  Thank you all for your continued prayers, and don't forget about our celebration party/meet and greet for Levi on June 18 at Provision Living Center in Godfrey, IL from 11-6.  Everyone is welcome!  We are looking forward to spending the day with our family and friends, and meeting those of you that we don't even know who have been so kind to pray for our little guy all this time!  We will serve light refreshments and you can feel free to stay the whole day or a small part of it.  Looking forward to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment