Thursday, May 26, 2011

Home Again :)

So Levi is having Infantile Spasm seizures, which can be very dangerous and can result in regression if they are not brought under control.  We began a new med, Topamax, and will increase the dosage over the next week.  It will take 2 to 3 weeks before we know how well it will control the seizures.  On the positive side, I have already noticed that the clusters of seizures are not so frequent or so many.  Also, this is a condition that lasts until he is 2 to 4 years old.  Thank God it's something that will go away!  We are believing that Topamax will work wonderfully for him and fully control the seizures!  While we were speaking with the neurologist Levi began one of his infamous screaming fits.  She asked if he always does this.  I said yes.  The first time he had screaming fits we found out he had acid reflux.  The second time we learned his muscles were spastic which led to a diagnosis of Cerebral Palsy (a mild form thank God!).  I said I don't know why he's screaming now, it may be related to the cast, although he seems to be getting used to it.  She took pity on us and decided to decrease the Keppra because irritability is a side effect of this med and we have increased it so much lately he is at the max dosage.  AND she prescribed another seizure med to be given at bedtime that will help him sleep!  This is an answered prayer for us!  Since we left the hospital he has been pretty good.  He didn't cry at all during the car ride home, which is rare, and even enjoyed a trip through Walmart!  Right now he is sleeping, giving me time to straighten the house and hop on here briefly.

I have been feeling very depressed and beaten down lately.  It just seems to be one thing after another with him and I wonder when it will stop.  I know God doesn't give us more than we can handle, but it seems like I've been past that for some time now.  I suppose He is showing me that I can handle much more than I realized.  I think it was Mother Teresa who said "I know God doesn't give us more than we can handle.  I just wish He didn't trust me so much!"  That's definitely how I'm feeling right now.  BUT Levi is such a blessing to us!  We wanted another baby for a very long time, and here he is!  I know that at some point things will settle down and we'll have a happy little guy.  And the thought of getting consistent sleep at night is enough to really brighten my world :)

Also, his rash was looked at by a dermatologist and he thinks it is either a contact rash or a type of heat rash, neither of which we should be concerned about.  It doesn't seem to bother him at all.  So we will be using gentler soaps for him to see if it goes away.  Apparently the ingredient in baby products that makes them "tearless" is also becoming an irritant to some babies with sensitive skin.  So it is a relief to know this doesn't point to yet another diagnosis!  Yay!  This is all I know for now.  Hope you all have a wonderful holiday weekend!  We are hoping to barbecue and relax with a happy baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment